The first time I read this quote, the truth of it hit me right in the heart. Oh how real this quote is to me, and oh how many times I have been reminded of it.
The Karmen interpretation of this quote is: You can travel the world and see amazing things, but its not going to fulfill you/give you peace/give you that deep, lasting joy - that all needs to be within you, not based on circumstance or experience, even though experiences are of course amazing and life giving.
Whenever I step back and reflect on my life, I am struck by how many amazing opportunities I've had. (if that sounds prideful, that is not how I mean it.) I've been to 14 incredible countries in 3 different continents, I've made friends from all over the world, I've seen dreams fulfilled, and I've learned and grown so very much. While I definitely didn't set out with the goal of being in missions and traveling so that I would "feel fulfilled," I think it's somehow natural to think, even subconsciously, that experiences=happiness. I have learned in a very real way, though, that these things are truly not what is fulfilling my life. And those internal struggles I deal with? Yep, they'll still there no matter how many stamps I have on my passport. When I reflect on these experiences in an objective sort of way, I sometimes think, "My life is GOOD! I should be happy all of the time, just based on these experiences" and then I look back at pictures and I feel mixed emotions, because I remember everything that season held - not just what the camera captured. I remember the not so great part of these experiences; I remember the behind the scenes storyline: along with the joy and the fun - the fear, the loneliness, the homesickness, the heart break. I am so deeply, deeply thankful for the places I have been able to go, the people I have met, and the fun that I've experienced throughout it all, but the quote above... it rings so true with me. It speaks to me in two ways:
1) It reminds me that I can experience amazing things, and still not be 'happy'. I believe lasting peace comes from God, and that we find true, deep joy within Him, and it doesn't waver with circumstances. I am very much in the process of growing in experiencing these things regardless of circumstances, but I do feel certain that they come out of my relationship with Him, nothing else.
2) It reminds me that though experiences aren't what my happiness is found in, that I want to learn to soak in the beauty of moments more deeply. I want to experience the depths of His love, joy, and peace, and to live from that place, so that each experience (whether extravagant like climbing the Great Wall of China, or simple like morning coffee with my parents back in America) is enjoyed in a greater way.
I want to live life more fully and wholly.
[ And for those that have said to me, "I wish I could be doing what you're doing!" just know, you can live a life so full of joy, adventures, and life changing experiences, wherever you are. It's not about the location, but what you carry within you. With that said, I do wholeheartedly recommend seeing the world... it's incredible! :) ]
[ And for those that have said to me, "I wish I could be doing what you're doing!" just know, you can live a life so full of joy, adventures, and life changing experiences, wherever you are. It's not about the location, but what you carry within you. With that said, I do wholeheartedly recommend seeing the world... it's incredible! :) ]

Very nicely said Karmen like tea that only tastes good when steeped in hot water our participation includes a willingness to not only jump in but stay In as long as needed. And like a good cup of tea that improves with a bit of honey your smiling face is able to comunicate God Love and Grace! We not only enjoyed our coffee time at home with you but our French Press and tea times in Lucatin as well. Thank You and Nicholas too.
ReplyDeletethanks Dad! i enjoy coffee and tea with you and mom anywhere, anytime! <3
Delete