First month of outreach

Well, outreach is over half over... I cannot believe that! The first month didn't really feel like it was going fast at the time, but looking back I can see it really did fly by, and I'm sure these next weeks will do the same. A lot of details about outreach are things I'd love to share face to face with you all, instead of writing every detail on a blog, but I'll give an overview of our month.

We spent the first 2 days in Phnom Penh, seeing some sights and adjusting to the time difference. After that we headed off to a village not too far from the city. We teamed up with a guy through YWAM who is from this village and has started up some English classes within the community. Along with teaching English, he does devotions with the students. We were able to teach 3 different English classes each day, as well as share devotions/testimonies each night. We also connected with an orphanage and I was able to go there every day. 4 people went per day, and everyone else rotated, but, I voiced my big heart for orphans and I was blessed with the chance to go daily. We had to get to the orphanage by motorbike, so every day we'd climb on behind these Cambodian guys that couldn't understand us at all, and drive this ridiculously beautiful route to a precious, peaceful, joy filled orphanage. It was lovely. We also did some prayer walks and house visits. We had the opportunity to prayer walk some of the child brothel/prostitution areas in Phnom Penh. Two guys on our team started going to a monastery daily to teach English and build relationships with a few monks. I'm definitely learning the start of doing most anything in missions (sharing the gospel, etc) will go much better if there is a good relationship basis. So yeah, we really got to know quite a few people within this village, mostly children, and I treasure them and our time spent there so much. Our living conditions made me feel like a legit rural third world country missionary. We lived in a 1.5 room house (where lizards and rats liked to hang out, haha), slept on the floor, had a squatty potty and bucket showers (which we had to walk across the street to get to) and yeah... just lived really simply. But it was beautiful, and the more I'm able to think and process it all, the more I am so thankful for every bit of it. It wasn't an easy month, but it was beautiful, challenging, and rewarding. Saying goodbye to everyone, seeing the tears in their eyes and hearing them say how much they'd miss us, meant so much to us. There is soo much more I could say about it, but for now that's all... ask me more :) Here's a video my teammate Mike made, showing a bit of our time in the village.



Right now we're up in Siem Reap, where we'll be till the end of the month. I'll blog about what's going on here when we're done. We get back to Germany December 2nd. Thanks so much for all the prayers!

1 comments :

  1. Hey Karmen!! I miss you TONS! I am so anxious to see you and hear all about it. Thanks for the update - and the video was great. The people are beautiful. We continue to pray for you and trust God with your safety.

    ReplyDelete